E is still in diapers, but I no longer carry a dedicated diaper bag. I have a beautiful purse that was designed brilliantly, with a central zipper compartment the exact right size for E’s toddler-age accessories.
Here is what I carry with me every day:
- 2 Diapers
- Baby wipes (Pampers, Huggies, etc.)
- Disposable changing pad
- Disinfecting wipes for dirty surfaces (Clorox or Lysol)
- Disinfecting wipes for dirty hands (Wet Ones or similar)
- Extra pacifier & pacifier tether
- Snack-size bag of crackers (animal crackers, graham crackers, Goldfish crackers…) – I’ll admit to having munched on these while sitting in traffic, E napping in her seat, blissfully unaware.
- Shiny, noisy toy for tantrum distraction – E has a toy cell phone that she loves to play with. It’s about the same size as a travel packet of Kleenex, and is a sure-fire distraction when E looks like she’s starting to melt down.
- Boogie Wipes – I don’t always carry these, but whenever E has a cold with a runny nose, I don’t go ANYWHERE without them.
The list looks daunting, and you’re probably thinking that I must be carrying around an incredibly large suitcase as my beautiful purse, but I promise you, this stuff doesn’t take up much space. I’m still eating away at that “obscene quantity” of travel sized accoutrements I mentioned in the original diaper bag post, so everything fits quite nicely. Furthermore, with the central pocket zipped, my purse looks stylish and chic, without a glaringly mommy vibe.
And, since I’m bragging on the glorious purse, I’ll tell you a bit about it: it is a Nicole by Nicole Miller “Shopper”, though it’s from a previous season, and I’m not seeing anything exactly like it in stores now (I’ve been looking to see if I could get one in a more summery pattern). I bought it at JCPenney on clearance last year, and it looks like the overall design has changed bit, though the central zipper compartment is still there.
Moms – what are your must-have toddler accessories?